Everybody is talking about Microsoft Azure – about the chances of cloud transition, and about the dangers of exposing your sensitive data to the Internet. Building secure and stable Azure solutions, whilst keeping the costs as low as possible, can be a challenge. This is why we went looking for the best free Azure training resources of 2018: courses that teach us where to start, tell us about all different Azure functionality, and how to put them together to architect a great Azure solution.
This is what we found:
Microsoft Cloud Administration Track (EDX)
Following Microsoft’s Cloud administration Track is a great way to be introduced to all core subjects of working with Azure. A total of 10 courses will lead to the Microsoft Professional Program Certificate in Cloud Administration. Courses take 4 to 6 weeks and you will have to work 4 to 12 hours a week on them depending on the depth of the course. It took me a year to go through them all and I have really learned a lot about Azure functionality and possibilities.
EDX has text and video chapters, demo’s, and labs. The final exams are multiple choice questions combined with a graded lab. These EDX courses are part of the track:
- Get Started with Cloud Administration
- Provision and Manage Virtual Machines
- Implement an Azure Network Infrastructure
- Manage Azure Active Directory
- Implement and Manage Azure Storage
- Deploy and Manage Azure App Service
- Provision, Configure and Manage Azure SQL Database
- Secure and Manage Compliance of Azure Resources
- Automate Azure Workloads
- Migrate IaaS Workloads to Azure
- Capstone: Final Project
- Microsoft Professional Program Certificate in Cloud Administration
These courses are free to follow, although when you want to have a certificate you must pay $99 USD per course.
Azure Fundamentals (Microsoft)
Azure Fundamentals is a course Microsoft created to help developers who want to start working with Azure. It provides a great base for Azure functionality and could be a good starting point for anyone new to Azure. These are some of the subjects you will learn about during this course:
- What is Azure?
- What is cloud computing?
- Introduction to Azure services and features
- Azure Portal dashboards
- Essential Azure compute concepts
- Benefits of using Azure to store data
- Deploy your site to Azure
- Scale with Azure Load Balancer
- Reduce latency with Azure Traffic Manager
- Cloud security is a shared responsibility
- Identity and access
- Protect your network
Architect Great Solutions in Azure (Microsoft)
Architect great solutions in Azure is an excellent course if you want to build great things on Azure, but don’t know where to start. It teaches us how to design and build secure, scalable, performant solutions in Azure by examining the core principles for good architecture. Using key principles throughout your architecture regardless of technology choice, can help you design, build, and continuously improve your architecture.
During this course, you’ll learn how to incorporate security into your architecture design and discover the tools that Azure provides to help you create a secure environment through all the layers of your architecture. You’ll read about scaling your system to handle load, how to design an Azure architecture that is cost- and operationally-efficient, eliminates waste. The course gives you full visibility into what's happening in your environment, and how to handle infrastructure and service failure, recover from the loss if data, and recover from a disaster by designing availability and recoverability into your architecture.
- Pillars of a great Azure Architecture
- Design for security
- Design for performance and scalability
- Design for availability and recoverability
- Design for efficiency and operations
Architecting Microsoft Azure Solutions: 70-535 Exam Preparation (Cloud Academy)
Architecting Microsoft Azure Solutions: 70-535 Exam Preparation on Cloud Academy is a great way to prepare yourself for Microsoft’s 70-535 exam. Cloud Academy has a free trial period of 7 days, so if you want to follow this course for free make sure you have enough time for the next week! This course handles the chapters from Microsoft’s exam preparation book, and contains text, videos, labs and practice exams.
- Design an Azure compute infrastructure using virtual machines, serverless computing, microservices
- Design an Azure data implementation using storage, relational databases, and NoSQL datastores
- Design an Azure networking implementation using virtual networks, external connections, security strategies, and hybrid applications
- Design Azure security and identity solutions using Azure Active Directory, identity providers, Azure Key Vault, and security administration services
- Design Azure solutions by using platform services, including artificial intelligence, the Internet of Things, messaging, and media services
- Design for Azure operations using monitoring, alerting, and automation
Microsoft Azure Machine Learning (Microsoft)
In this course you will be thought to create your first data science experiment in Azure Machine Learning Studio and how to use Studio for the first time to create a machine learning experiment. The experiment will test an analytical model that predicts the price of an car based on different variables such as make and technical specifications. If you are new to Machine Learning you should combine this course with the video series about Data Science.
- How does Machine Learning Studio help?
- Open Machine Learning Studio
- Five steps to create an experiment
- Step 1: Get data
- Step 2: Prepare the data
- Step 3: Define features
- Step 4: Choose and apply a learning algorithm
- Step 5: Predict new automobile prices
- Final experiment
We hope you enjoy these quality Azure training resources! If there's an excellent resource you've used this year that's not on this list, let us know!
Topics from this blog: Blog